Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Zen Rocks

Those of you who have had the great privilege of sitting in our kitchen among the crumbs and chaos with a glass of red wine know all about my zen rocks. Four stones from the Puget Sound, resting one on the other in a perfect stack, reside always on my windowsill, reflecting the balance I would looove to achieve (as long as there's still room for neurotic outbursts, which I also loooove). Am I just in a fairly good place in my life, with wonderful friends, a supportive community, sweet children who are growing more and more independent, a husband who likes to cook and edit, and low-stress, high-rewards, work--OR is it the zen rocks?

I brought a few extra home with me, and the beach behind the last-day Seattle/Edmonds photo shoot was the setting where I picked them up and slipped them into my pocket. My friend Sal has a tiny stack on her windowsill, and woe to the woman whose zen stack slips (see her post here).

Look at the girls. The beach full of zen rocks seem to have had little effect on them.

My parents need no zen rock stack, apparently. They are joyful/grateful/at peace even when vomiting. . .

and. . .here are the king and queen of zen. Drum roll, please.
Helps to achieve zen include a our favorite new wine, Malbec, from Argentina, a loaf of fresh bread, and some gooey brie. Not sure this is what the zen-masters had in mind, but it works.

3 comments:

Amy Phillips said...

I think all of the above contribute to your balance--including those dear parents of yours.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Amy, you are absolutely right. . .I think a better word for my "balance" would be "mercy" or "gift." We can't choose most things, I guess, including parents, but I am really fortunate to have those two grinning people in my life.

Anonymous said...

Hey Darlin', there is so much for these two people to be grinning about, yes, gifts of our good God, most especially their exquisitely lovely children (spouses included) and grandchildren. And funky, to boot! Loving you, Mom