Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Febuary Grey

This is a cliche, especially in our part of Pennsylvania. A cliche that nevertheless preys on all those who spend a good part of their time indoors. It's not elephant grey or the grey of a lovely old woman who has lived long. . .it's the grey of my grandfather's overwashed socks that drifts across the sky in watery oatmeal patterns. It's the grey that makes me want to order Crunchie Bars from England and brightly painted miniature play food from Germany. It's the grey that makes me want to wear dowdy old sweaters and slippers.

There are good things, I suppose, to grey: hot tea, nothing much to do except enjoy being with the children, a slight push toward cleaning, painting, making large pots of soup and crusty loaves of bread. If I were alone it would be a perfect grey for a whole day of writing or reading. As it is, Merry is pairing socks, Elspeth is padding around in tiger pants with a runny nose, and I am putting of using the restroom for as long as possible (I do not want to sit on the cold seat). We are getting an England fix with "Wind in the Willows" on the TV and the Wiggle's Monkey dance. I am contemplating cleaning and Merry looks spry in a summer-sky blue dress. . . .

Blah on Febuary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's probably grey in Enland too, of course a British grey would be more romantic than PA grey. In fact, the weather report for London (just looked it up...don't have any pressing matters this AM) is cloudy with a high temp of 13* until Tues! So, you'd want to be walking the baby in the pram INDOORS! :-) I'd love to get away too!
Tonya

Anonymous said...

Of course, that's 13 celsius ...

and it may be 10F here in PA right now, but look at that sun!

AppDaddy said...

Try Hostess Twinkies in a pinch, or see if there is a Trader Joes or European style Deli in one of the malls in Pittsburgh or Morgantown.
They normally stock a lot of the Euro goodies.
Or an old Southern favorite, Moon Pies and RC Cola.
The girls are growing up too fast, especially Merry.

It is somewhat gray and clammy here today also, but we got some much needed rain last night. We are supposed to hit 65 tomorrow though.
I have a pot of Irish Stew on the stove (my first time using Guiness Stout as an ingredient, smells great!) and your Auntie is attempting to take a nap. I am finishing up a lot of office busy work, I will be traveling a lot over the next month and won't have many afternoons like this one in the office here at the 'Manse'
It is almost four, and I have worked enough for one week.
Now for some nice trash TV and a snooze......

Anonymous said...

You're right, Martin. If we only would have switched to the metric system in the 80's when they threatened to!
Tonya