Blog Archive

Monday, May 21, 2012

Two hours of editing is nothing.  Two hours of writing is even less.  Sometimes I feel as if I could write for about twelve hours straight.  For about twelve months straight.  But, alas, and hallelujah too, school is almost over and soon my beautiful girls will be home with me.  All day.

Right now I have, at the most, five minutes to scribble a blog post.  Let me begin with Rilke's line, or the imperfect remembered version:  "Though we strain against the deadening grip of daily necessity, we sense this mystery: all life is being lived. . ."

This morning, robin's song.  Sunlight caught by curtain.  A yellow butterfly among the climbing rose, just now bursting with deep pink blooms.  Blue paths in a cloudy sky, the passing roar of cars outside, the hum of a lawnmower.  All life is being lived, a million lives just outside in the garden, and so many more in widening circles from this one point, where Martin and I sit and record more unfolding life, the life of characters--fourth grade Maple Mullihan who must try to find her talent, must find the key to the locked door that leads to the extraordinary.  Across from me, Martin ignites word after word on a blank white page, tending the many tiny flames that make a poem.

And now my minutes are up, and I must go and make myself presentable for the world, shake off the cloak that quiet writing wraps me in, put on my company face.  Two hours, such a very short time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know I often think of word-crazed Annie Dillard, storming down a dark beach, having forgotten to eat...and surely to tend to life. Again, as you know, I've envied that singlemindedness, that giving over of self to the writing craft...but how to write about life, if we don't also live it? Yours was a good five minutes today, Kim.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Jill,
Very few of us can be Annie Dillard. . .most of us have to pack in a few concentrated moments here and there. I heard of a famous Quaker mother of twelve kids or so who would throw her apron over her head to find a few moments of silence where she could find nourishment. I had my own apron-dark days, where two hours seemed like an unimaginable richness. It makes me all the more grateful for every block of time that is given to me.
Always good to hear from another writer! How's the new blog coming?

Unknown said...

I'm smiling at the image of the apron flung over a mother's head. My sister used to go sit in the closet for a few minutes. My trouble now is getting back to that I've put off for so long. I've been working on the new blog, and it should be up in a week or so. Right now I have so many different projects who want my attention, I feel like my head is spinning. Pick me--pick me, they all say. I'm thinking of making a schedule for them all...this is when you each get my brain. Have you finished the children's book?