Blog Archive

Thursday, February 16, 2012

When Merry finished A Wrinkle in Time the other night, I realized I'd need to read it again if I were to discuss it intelligently with her. I remembered parts of the book (in particular, I remember a vague feeling that I should memorize a great deal more than I had in high school if I were to ever battle a giant, disembodied, evil Brain), but the rest was fuzzy.

So last night I stayed up half the night and read Madeline L'Engle's classic again. I was so spooked by IT and its control of Meg's little brother that, at midnight, when I moved my reading upstairs to bed, I couldn't bring myself to drop off my tea cup in a dark, lonely kitchen. I left it on the hall table and dashed up to bed where I finished the book in peace, switched off the light, and marvelled at L'Engle's brilliance.

Reading the book as an adult and as a writer was interesting; I was caught up in the narrative but I was detached enough to think, when the star's song is taken straight from the Psalms, "That was risky. I wouldn't have tried that. . ." and wonder at the sheer intelligence of the writing, how Mrs. Who pulled quotes seemingly out of thin air and how L'Engle mesmerized us with math. . . .and how the book, when studied in little pieces, was not as brilliant as the whole, which shimmers with the qualities of true Myth.

I can't give too much away, because Martin (gasp) has never read it. I'm switching books with him as soon as he finishes rereading "Asher Lev" which I'm sure I must have read in my Potok phase but can't remember. (Did I ever tell you I read Vanity Fair twice, and the second time didn't realize it was a reread until I was almost half-way through?)

If you haven't read L'Engle in a while, I highly recommend a revisit--wonderful stuff for midwinter days. And a reminder, too, of what is real, what is worth pursuing--and fighting for--in life and art.

4 comments:

uncle Dino said...

I remember reading it as a schoolboy. I think that copy is still here somewhere, in one of our many boxes of old books and such.
I loved it, and I also enjoyed Beverley Cleary's Beezuz and Ramona, Henry and Ribsey etc.
Kids books do not have to be saccharine and treacly.
They are capable of grasping more intense, thoughtful themes.
Not many writers like the old master's today, sadly.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Uncle,
I love B. Cleary, as well! Ramona is one of my all-time favorites.

Country Girl said...

The Gift of Asher Lev is one of my favorites, as are most of the L'Engle books - though I haven't read either for quite awhile. J just discovered Ramona this year. We are reading the "Great Brain" series right now, and I'm just beginning another Sherlock Holmes book by Laurie King. Our "library" room is full of old books, that have become old friends. :-)

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about my old favorite books--they are so comforting and dear; they never change but they seem to because of the different ages I am when I reread them. . .
Kim