Blog Archive

Monday, February 6, 2012

I'm watching Merry and Catherine do the Electric Slide in front of me, struggling a bit to follow a couple of dancers on the TV. Merry is tallest now, long and lean in a green dress and leggings. Catherine's flaxen hair falls halfway down her back and they both seem so grown up.

The two oldest girls cooked dinner tonight--tuna noodle casserole that we all ate up and toasted energetically. Merry's on a cooking streak--she baked two batches of delicious cupcakes over the weekend almost entirely by herself (she's still a bit timid about sliding hot pans out of the oven, which I sympathize with). This is energy I want to encourage as much as possible. Hopefully before too many years I'll be able to write her into the dinner-making schedule.

Beatrix just flipped her rocking chair over, rolled free and said, "I'm okay." When we first arrived in this town, Merry and Catherine were her age, stumping off to preschool together in the mornings, and now they look for all the world like young women.

I was told this would happen. But it happened fast.

3 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Ha! A friend gently brought to attention the fact that I had Merry sliding hot pans out of the fridge. Whoops. Too much on my plate? Maybe. . .

Duly noted, and changed to OVEN.

uncle Dino said...

Our oven has breathed it's last.
You Auntie was baking cookies for Ariel a couple of nights ago, and screamed "FIRE!, THERE'S A FIRE IN THE OVEN!" I figured it was some old junk that had ignited, and was partially correct.
Then she found what was left of her lost earring, that had fallen off and lodged next to the heating coil.
One mystery solved.
Then last night, she was trying to bake chicken and found the oven was barely heating up.
Then she noticed that the coil had burned completely through at one point.
Unplug the oven, bring out the electric skillet and Crock Pot!
I went online and found that our timing was at least good. Lowe's has a 10% off with free delivery on all appliances sale. She commented on my coolness in having to spend money on yet another unplanned mini-disaster. Last fall our hot water heater gave up. "Just life in the fast lane. At least we caught it and the house didn't burn down." was my Vulcan-like stoic reply.

Unknown said...

Dear Writer Friend,
In the world of imagination, hot pans may indeed be removed somewhat dangerously from the fridge. Seriously, gather up all of the Nancy and Catherine stories, and tie them with a blue ribbon for her. Better yet, make a book. One last thought. Just yesterday, maybe even this morning, I stood in the Giant Eagle wondering how I might survive until dinner. The littlest baby slept (or cried) in the carseat-a toddler bounced in the cart proper, one boy sat on the bottom rack, trailing his fingers dangerously close to the wheels, and my oldest clutched the edges of my sweater. Tonight, my house is quiet. :)