Blog Archive

Sunday, December 11, 2011

My story, "Name Finding," has been published at Literary Mama. Please read it (and leave a comment if you'd like) by clicking HERE. I hope you enjoy the site--it's not just for mamas, of course.

And. . .to read about my first experience hunting, check out my column for this week by clicking on the geranium at right. (Did I mention I never write my own headlines?) Also, while you may be the reader that takes the total reads to fourteen, the column is mostly read in print in this county and in the next. But online reads are important, too, so leave a message if you'd like! Finally, big thanks to Tonya for putting up with me as a novice hunter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But is it really hunting if you don't hold a gun or a hunting license? Writers ... always prone to exaggeration.


M

uncle Dino said...

I'm impressed!
Your cousin will have to take you on a real hunt on our little farm in WV.
Even if you never intend to shoot one yourself, I suggest you take a NRA sanctioned hunter safety course, as your friend did.
Safety is paramount, and you may find if you have access to a range to practice shoot that you are good at it! Most guys won't admit it, but due to the patience and self control required, women can be excellent marksmen!
And you may want to check PA state law. Even if you are there as an observer, in some states you are still required to have a hunting license if you sit in a blind and have access to a firearm.
Wardens have no sense of humor, better safe than sorry!

Country Girl said...

I checked my book, and I couldn't find anything that says you must be licensed if out. I wouldn't have let you touch my rifle anyway, unless it was unloaded. Tell your Uncle Dino that I don't have much self control, but I'm not sure it affects my ability to hit the broad side of a barn with a bullet (I think I could actually do that). I just need more practice. That and I'm still kinda scared that I'll shoot my eye out again!
T