Blog Archive

Friday, November 4, 2011

Today is the third in a series of gloriously sunny days that peak in the mid 50s to 60s. Bea and I both have colds and were driving each other a bit batty this morning so off we went on a walk up through the neighborhood hills. We stopped for a while at Nancy's house, and I broke some leaves off her kale plants. Bea fanned the air with one; they were riddled with holes but still very beautiful. You can't tell we plucked any; the bushes are so dense and ruffly, planted right at the front step where I often sat with her.

And then I weeded. Nancy would have been sad to see the grass choking her bearded irises--she always gloried in their full, citrusy smell every year. She planted them in a wet corner of her yard along with purple echinacea (coneflowers) and something else feathery and green--fennel, I'm guessing. The echinacea has gone to seed, black spiky balls, and I left those, because I think they look pretty covered in snow. I made a small mountain of grasses and Bea ran up and down the lawn, eating (I later found out) at least one tiny purple berry that I think is poisonous. I watched her for signs of convulsions but she seems to be fine.

It was good to be alone in Nancy's garden with the plants she nested in the ground last spring. I pulled up the dried black stacks of basil, still redolent with scent. Bea picked the last of the tiny tomatoes and ate them and I walked home, the back of the stroller filled with kale leaves, which will be all the sweeter now after the first autumn frosts.

5 comments:

Katie said...

kim. i love these images. how right to spend time in your friends garden. how delighted she must be to see you tending it. thank you for these images. It filled me with a peaceful joy.

Anonymous said...

Katie, thank you! I love keeping up with your farm. . .what will you do all winter? Puruse seed catalogs? Drink hot toddy?
kim

Unknown said...

Kim, I think you should put all of your Nancy pieces into a long essay, or perhaps even a book. They are lovely, lovely, lovely.

I received my first recent rejection, for a poem that was too well-crafted and literary. Not the comment I expected about my poetry, that's for sure.

Jill

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Jill, thanks for your words! I'm working on some poems right now about Nancy. . .I wish I had all my time to devote to them. You know what I mean: not enough time to write!

What journal said no on such a basis? At least you got a personal rejection. After getting as many form rejections as I have, I count personal rejections as a mini triumph. I once sent off a children's story called "Share Your Chair with Lizards." I received this note: "Thank you for sending us the story, 'Share Your Chair with Wizards. After careful consideration. . ."

At least they carefully considered it, right? :}

Unknown said...

I am sending off a wish to the universe that you will have enough time to write the Nancy poems. You know, Kim, that your prose about her is achingly beautiful, too.

My rejection came from the Boston Literary Magazine. I was actually rather tickled by the response since I think of my poetry as anything but wellcrafted and literary! My office is next to the classroom where students often evaluate work for their literary magazine. I always cross my eyes and toes when I think of the evaluation process our work meets when we send it. And, as you say, consideration is always good!