Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

She sailed away on a lovely summer's day. . .

Oh, there once was a puffin. . .

The owl and the pussycat went to sea on a beautiful pea green. . .


Can you finish the entire poems, preferably to a tune?

It just struck me that all three of these are about water, sailing or oceans. This doesn't surprise me, really, considering my mother (who grew up in the West Indies) and my father (who grew up in tidewater Virginia), are both obsessed with the ocean and feel happiest when standing in sand.

Sailing, sailing, over the ocean main; Many a stormy wind come up till Jack. . .

I remember my mother at some harbor somewhere, breathing in deeply of a wind that smelled (I thought) like rotten fish. "Ah," she sighed. "There's nothing like the smell of the ocean!"

Result: I find myself driving and panting up the tight green hills of Pennsylvania; she rides a ferry through the Puget Sound on a regular basis.

"And children, don't forget your toothbrushes." Where's THAT gem from? Kudos to you who know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know! I know! My favorite childhood book! But I'll keep my knowledge to myself to see if any non-Long kids can place the quote.

Do you remember our childhood debate (circa Brunswick or Chapel Hill days) of which was better, mountain or ocean? You argued mountains, I chose ocean. (Although I think your fascination with mountains was fed by your love affair with Mandy books.). It's funny that you've now settled down close to the mountains, and I close to the ocean.

Heather

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

My favorite childhood book too! I'm always surprised when people don't know about this book. They all know "Goodnight Moon" but not this one. O pish.

Yes, here I am in the mountains. that doesn't mean I don't think it would be FUN to live in WA surrounded by beautiful water. It is funny, though--and I do admit the rolling hills really speak to me. . .

Anonymous said...

The author has got to be Richard Scarry. Just can't remember the book!

Mom

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

MOM, WHAT??? Richard Scarry??? Revisit your memory.

"And children, don't forget your toothbrushes. . ."

Anonymous said...

Think lyrical prose, Mom. Ask Dad if he remembers.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Dad is spending a long time wondering what it might be.