Blog Archive

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Maple Syrup

Coomb's Family Farms maple syrup,
Elspeth embarking on new project with five toilet paper rolls,
Merry closed in downstairs bathroom assembling another beauty parlor,
Martin standing by the waffle iron, listening to NPR's Scott Simon giggling over Seattle football team,
Bea pedaling her pink tricycle into the kitchen cabinets,
table littered with sticky plates, half-drunk milk, an sludgy Bodum. . .
everyone in pyjamas.
Ah, Saturday morning. We sing of your glorious slothy slippered goodness.

Happy weekend.

2 comments:

AppDaddy said...

Thank you for the lovely letter, and the wonderful artwork by the girls!
It is all in the prime position in our gallery.
The refrigerator door!
We had a good week, and some bad.
Normal! Life is ebb and flow.

I went to a UNC basketball game Thursday night with a good friend, who just retired after 43 years at UNC.
Then I attended his luncheon Friday.
I learned much about him I did not know, as he is a self effacing and humble man.
He was one of the original founders of the UNC employees forum, and as his boss put it "served on so many committees for others benefit, I sometimes wondered if he had a real job!"
A blessing it is to grow up in a town like your girls are, school there, work your entire career for the same love institution, and then retire.
"Alice and I are going to travel, and I have a four year old grandson I need to teach guy stuff to."
I'm privileged to call him my friend, and in some ways mentor.

Country Girl said...

I'm with you, sister! The girls have disbanded their secret hideout in the library to carry on downstairs. JP is watching the Steelers. I am procrastinating on the mopping of the floors. They will still be there tomorrow!
T