Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Forsythia Fern Cockroft


As a child I dreamed of Eugene Field's Sugarplum Tree ("tis a marvel of great renown," after all) in the Garden of Shut-Eye Town. As an old 32-year old, I have shaken off the Sugarplum Tree in favor of Forsythia, Plums, Crabapples, Eastern Redbuds. The real blossoms of spring are always so unbelievably wonderful that I am woozy with delight. Because of the Big Snow, spring is especially glorious here, the blooms various and rich. The forsythia is a million golden exclamation marks along our side yard, where Martin planted ten more bushes.

In a moment of prenatal fancy, I wanted to name our smallest child Beatrix Fern Forsythia Cockroft, since she was born at the height of the forsythia two years ago, but Martin told me I would be sorry. Would I have been sorry? I don't think so. Maybe she would have been. So I've been slipping in the name Forsythia where I can. I even have a LL Bean catalog that comes to Forsythia Cockroft, and it is a name that should have been, my dears.

Beatrix turned two on the same day I turned thirty years more than she; so we celebrated all week with good people--here, handsome Roberto. Beatrix has learned what candles are for; she pointed to hers and said, "I want Happy-Day!" She celebrated by running around outside for days, coming indoors only to get somewhat clean and to sleep.Friend Sally baked me a fantastic meringue torte and took my children most of the day. What a gal, Sal. Since I thought I was thirty-two all of last year, I don't feel much older.

Only now with three delights, I feel full of energy when I am not exhausted, ready for excitement when I am not content to fall asleep at 10:30, and generally happier than could possibly be deserved.

4 comments:

Country Girl said...

I see my crazy tree behind your forsythia! I'm loving the redbud this year...makes a purple haze through the trees.
T

Katie said...

oh I love the name forsythia...and I always want to say for cynthia...which makes me smile...and how lovely if your name was cynthia to have a whole bush for you:)

AppDaddy said...

32?
I think I was that age during the Roosevelt administration.
TR, not Franklin.

Anonymous said...

This is Sarah K Lesniewski, who rarely leaves comments because she knows not how to without being "anonymous." But I LOVE the name Forsythia, and Hyacinth, too. I would have many girls just to give them these names. And my daughters currently enjoy walking up to forsythia bushes, saying, "you're not forsythia, you're for Sasha." Or, "you're not forsythia, you're for Hannah," and so on.