Blog Archive

Friday, March 26, 2010

Detatching and Humble Pie


I wrote a short story set in Kenya that I made myself return to--I didn't feel like finishing it and I didn't feel any particular emotional attachment to it. Turns out that this is a good sign for me.

It's in the editing process now but it's the first story Martin has ever been 'blown away' by, if he could ever be described that way. I was so ambivalent about it, too--while I naturally jump to a first person narrator, for this story I went with a more objective, omniscient pov--and it was a good stretching exercise for me.

Of course I know you're never supposed to expect good writing out of extreme emotion, so I try not to write about anything too volatile unless I'm just venting. But I am unused to feeling quite so detached from a story. The more I edit the thing the more attached I get to it.

I try to apply the same detachment to the kapows of rejection letters, too, and I do keep my humor high. Most of the time I am very successful in that endeavor though occasionally I bow my head in a sort of melodramatic melancholy: O WOE IS ME. . . I WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO BEANS. . . .I STINK WORSE THAN GYM SOCKS. Etc.

Today I am going to be a guest speaker in a Publications Class at the University. This is my chance to bake up a big stinking humble pie so I can serve everyone a slice. These are my themes: Balancing writing with life, Rejection, Corresponding with Editors, Rejection, Juggling, Rejection, Chocolate, Rejection, Proposals, Rejection, Submissions, Rejection, Cover Letters, and--oh, yes, did I mention REJECTION?

Of course I have had some successes, and whole heaps of "almosts" and "we like you--but--" These are like tiny sprinkles of sugar sparkling on top of the enormous humble pie. This is how I will cap my talk, by cutting the pie into large slices and sliding them across the table to the students. "Eat hearty," I'll say with a wink and a guffaw.

2 comments:

AppDaddy said...

writing is like sales, if you can't take no for an answer, then you're in the wrong biz!
You are incredibly talented, your time will come!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I' d love to see the story set in Kenya!

What fun to share with students; and a very creative idea to let them into the reality of the writing world.

Love you,
mom