Blog Archive

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Obama!


Obama fever rises in our house daily. Every time I pass a yard with the blue sign I want to yell out the window. Yeah! That's right! ObaMA! ObaMA!

Martin and I have been getting through the debates lately by eating varying amounts of junk while we watch. I steadily worked through the girl's gummy bears: an attempt at sugar therapy to keep me skating through the morass of folksy talk in the VP debate. (And counting Palin's winks: Three in total. If I were a bird, say, even a relatively large bird with a fountain of yellow feathers and Big Bird were running, I would not vote for Big Bird just because Big Bird is a bird.)

Tuesday evening--we bundled the girls off to bed with ten minutes to spare, in which we loaded up on food and headed up to the computer. We settled on the couch, I with a mega bowl of ice cream, Martin with the salt and vinegar chips. One minute to spare. And then Martin disappears. "Hurry up, Martin!" I yell--and there's nothing but groans. Did I mention Martin, when stressed, gets incredible tummy upset? He finally joined me, rather green, and I ate his chips after I finished my ice cream.

I usually steer away from politics in my blog, but I have never cared more about any election as I do about this one. I think Obama and I feel hope and energy. There's so much I feel is at stake, and though neither party is perfect, I am excited about all that Obama can bring to this country of ours: to education, health care, diplomacy, energy, the environment.

For my children and me:

Yes, we can!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen.

Country Girl said...

OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA...etc

AppDaddy said...

Be careful who you idolize dear niece.
Obama is just another pandering politician, just like everyone else who has run for the office in my 55 years on God's good earth.

They will all tell you whatever they think you want to hear, and promise you the moon, sun and stars if you will just "Trust Me!".
A word from a wise old seen it all Uncle, Don't!

The political reality is-Congress is the worst Good Ol' Boys and Girls club there is.

They all play games with our money, and cover each others backs when we ask too many questions.

And it is Congress that introduces and passes all laws, and Congress that can bury anything they don't want to deal with to die a slow and painful death in committee.

Unfortunately they are all that we have in a representative Republic.

Depressing sometimes I know.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful you are one of the few not sucked into Christianized Republican dogmatism. I hope for all of our futures as well. OBAMA!!

Anonymous said...

I am afraid that I cannot vote for someone that supports killing childeren after they survive abortion attempts and are fully born alive. Call me old fashioned.
He talks and talks about change and, I agree that he is good at making people "feel" good however, if you look at Obama's record and the people he associates with.........hmmmm.
Believe me, as someone who has to try to see through the shroud of lies and half truths for a living and arrive at some semblance of the truth, THEY WILL ALL SAY OR DO WHATEVER THEY THINK WILL GET AND KEEP THEM IN POSITIONS OF POWER. Its just human nature. Do not get me wrong, I agree with Appdaddy that it is not a party issue but a broken, sinful heart issue.
Anyways, I am so glad that I am not a citizen of this world but instead a foreigner in a strange land and that, strive as people might to grab and hold onto power, God is still sovereign and in control of all. That is real hope.
I am saddened by people who believe the lie that the only person who can change America is a president or congressman or senator. They will ALWAYS disappoint.
Vote for who you will, but be careful not to place that person in a spot reserved for and deserved by only one.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog...and like you fear commenting about politics on my own blog....but I agree...please Obama win!! If McCain wins I will live in fear of his demise as nothing could be worse than Sarah Palin for president. We did a little Sarah Palin inspired plant picking on our blog today check it out http://greayer.com/studiog/?p=169

AppDaddy said...

I am really having a hard time understanding the irrational fear
(hatred, mayhaps?) of Sarah Palin.

She is not a lawyer, as 90% plus of politicians are, and has not been on the public dole her entire career as most of them have been.

A recent entry into Alaska politics placed her at odds with the power brokers in the so called "Big Oil" industry there, as well as local pols, both Republican and Democrat.

She took all of them on head to head, and beat them!

I would think that young women, indeed women from all stripes would greatly admire here spunk and success.

Yes, she is for the rights of the unborn, and is also unapologetic about the Second Amendment right to Keep and Bear Arms and hunt.

So what?
Also unlike most polititcians, she walks her talk, agree with her or not.

Inexperienced?
She has at least as many qualifications for high office as her rivals, and actually is a chief executive, something neither the Junior Senator from Ill or Joe Biden can boast.

If it is just Republican vs Democrat, I wish people would simply be honest and say so instead of pillaging the character of the candidate they don't agree with.

Far too much of that these days.

PS your Auntie is a great admirer of Gov Palin, and I think that she is a great woman in her own right.
Wouldn't you agree?

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

I must say, Ms. Palin was a good sport and showed great spunk on last week's Saturday Night Live!

And politics aside, I would never say (or even think) I hate anyone, and indeed the mud slinging on both sides of the parties is disheartening. I have stopped reading the news for a while, now that the last debate is over, and for the most part I can hardly wait until the election is over!

I am so grateful to live in a democracy, though, where front-yard political signs up and down the street do not have to match in order for neighbors to still enjoy greeting one another!