Blog Archive

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Skipping Church

Yesterday was a busy day, between Martin's conference and a sweet third child at our house and a wild painting experience (orange is the color of choice in our googoo house at the moment--the only major color NOT on our walls from the color wheel is purple), I had the overwhelming, tired sensation that it was time to stay home and have a family day. This was in conjunction with the knowledge that Martin's next week is busy-extra-busy and I will be taking off with my mother to help her sort through her house pre-move.

So we skipped church. After Martin overcame his guilt (left-over from never-miss Sunday attendance as a child--a what-if-Jesus-came-back-right-now feeling I can completely relate to), we had a beautiful day--our friends came over and we, heathen-like, in bad clothes, ate a pile of french toast with syrup, after which everyone (except me) went sledding and then came in for more food. And now Elspeth sleeps, Martin and Merry are out for a few moments together, and I am hunched over my computer briefly before sacking out flat with a book.

I do have a piece of outstanding news to report on my husband's behalf: Martin found out yesterday that he is (based on his work alone) the recipient of a PA arts grant, the total sum of which will go to finance his poetry for the next year. This wonderful news is well-deserved by my brilliant poet-in-residence (if I do say so myself). In a fortuitous turn, the poet himself brought home two bottles of wine, so if you would care to toast his happiness, drop by and we'll pour you a glass.

1 comment:

AppDaddy said...

Sounds like a lovely day!
All too often we have made Sunday a day so busy that we almost dread it's coming. I remember reading a pamphlet by Leighton Ford, I believe "The Tyranny of the Urgent"
about that very subject.
Whatever happened to the Day of Rest mandated by The Almighty?

We are far too busy these days, and your ancient Uncle and his young Bride fret over the constant outside stimulation Ariel's generation seems to need.
IM, Texting, 24/7 cell phone and High Speed Internet access, online gaming, with never ending game and platform upgrades, endless TV and DVD, etc.
Silence is a thing of the past for them. Who has the opportunity to "Be Still and Know" who El Shaddai is any more?
Maybe you Young'Uns would be wise to set aside one Sunday each month to do just what you did yesterday and enjoy one another for an entire unfettered day.
Just a thought.