Blog Archive

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Nosegays


My first antique, heirloom (David Austen) rose, cut on Father's Day. Doesn't it have a glorious petal pattern? Looking into one of these roses is like looking up into a Victorian woman's petticoats.

Rendered here, you can appreciate the layers of petals, the delicate ruffle of the blossom.
__________
Lately I've been whipping up nosegays from the garden to trot across the street to neighbors as thank-you gifts.

Here's a simple one, cut and composed during a rain, of roses, lavender, and sage.
_________

Roses, "tickseed" coreopsis, feverfew, lavender, and sage.
The lovely thing about these nosegays is that you can flip them upside down and dry them.
So it seems my dreams of roses have come true--and I am very, very happy indeed. Every time I hold a stem I feel rich beyond imagination.

1 comment:

Kate said...

What a beautiful bouquet! I always remember my mom also had a gift for assembling flowers. Hopefully that comes with practice!

Great blog! I'm glad I found it!