Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Homework

Always do your homework. That's what I tell myself every time I receive another shipment from the nursery; that's the advice I gave myself as I shook my head over the Canadian Hemlocks, of which I ordered and planted forty. There's a family of deer in the woods behind our house, and Canadian Hemlocks are evidently a particularly tasty treat for deer. So far the Hemlocks survive, though brown and sad-looking. I think they are too crunchy for the deer to bother, though if they do live and flourish, the deer will most likely chomp them to stubs.

Downstairs in my laundry tub, five Lombardy Poplars are soaking their roots. I even turned on the jet streams and some jazz so they could really relax before taking their place in our side yard.

In the meanwhile I dashed upstairs to check planting distances. A few seconds on Google retrieved the following information: Lombardy Poplars are a pestilence! They grow quickly to an incredible height and then die, leaving you with invasive roots and skeletons. Indeed the Lombardy poplar is one of the WORST trees a bumbling gardener can plant: "I have never recommended, at least while conscious, a poplar," Horticulturist Mike Durr commented.

I am such a bumbling gardener. I am the worst of bumbling gardeners, wooed by SpringHill Nursery's jolly promises of a quick windscreen. Why wasn't I suspicious of too much good too soon? Why?!

Hopefully I checked the "Redeeming Features" column only to read: "No redeeming features found. Many horticulturists consider the tree taboo with too many associated problems to ever consider planting." (see Steve Nix's advice before you buy five Lombardy poplars!)

Not even Chidester the Gumberry can help me now.

You think I would have learned back in third grade to do some homework. Meanwhile, what to do with the trees? Should I sneak into my neighbor's yard and plant them in the dead of night? Seems such a shame to waste them. . .A thought occurs that maybe we would have moved on by the time said poplars die. Is this like polluting the atmosphere with no thought for your children?

Anyone want five soggy Lombardy poplar trees?

Sigh.

Maybe the deer will eat them.

In other news, Merry has created a new song: "One, two, three, Freakout!" She told me Freakout was a sort of machine, and informed me she had learned that word from Daddy. Yesterday Elspeth ate more paint, this time green, and in a fit of despondancy over spring taking her time, I painted verdant leaves up my kitchen wall.

Let me add: the Art Show is looking fantastic! Look for it tomorrow or at the latest, Friday. There's still a minute for you to squeeze in an entry if you wish!

5 comments:

tangle said...

I was hoping to start a garden for the first time this year ... the first year I haven't spent the summer with everything I own packed in the car, headed somewhere else, in six. I went to a garden planning workshop, figured out everything I needed ... and then we found a better cabin down the road that we may move to in the middle of the growing. I'll be bumbling plenty (I always do just enough homework to miss the point and think I didn't) but now I'm worried it won't be this year.

Oh! Donate them to some corporate gig that's bad on the air ... they'll have enough money to deal with the aftermath.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

This is the first year in a long time we haven't been packing up and moving on yet again. I'm conquering the restlessness by digging instead (buried poplars in side yard, in what Lady Catherine would call a "prettyish sort of wilderness"). I do hope you get a garden. How about geraniums on the windowsill? Tomatoes in a bucket? Last year I dug up my herbs before we moved on again, as well as a lilac sucker, and they all made the transfer pretty well. But planting and digging up again is not very satisfying, and hard to smash the plants into your car. . .I sympathize, truly.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Oh, wow--my sister in AZ has some amazing gardening pictures. Puts green Pennsylvania in perspective. What an amazing mystery--tulips in the desert! See at papayamommy.blogspot.com.

Heather Marie said...

Walpi Housing Management just told us that three of our five beautiful trees are planted right on top of utility lines. Papaya Daddy's trying to decide whether and how to dig them up transplant them. Looks like we should have done a little homework, too!

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Oh, blast. I hope L can get up the trees without harming the roots. You should be able to--just use a flat long spade and of course dig far outside where you think the root ball ends. But Blast! What a nuisance.