Blog Archive

Friday, March 16, 2007

Thought I Was Dreaming of the Moon

"Last night I thought I was dreaming of the moon," says Merry, "But actually I was gagging."

Merry somehow characterized the low point of my day today, when everything felt like coming up the wrong way--Elspeth's awful cold and her inability to be awake without being held, some disappointing news about my book, NO COFFEE, and a huge snow in March. Sometimes I think with glowering brows about St. Paul, who in my opinion has caused sore trouble for the world (even my conservative grandmother said she would sort him out when she got to heaven). Some days I think, whoever said "victorious life" can stick it up their wazoo, if you know what I mean.

Today I received my first shipment from Gurney's. Inside the long cardboard box I found five lovely little Canadian hemlock trees. Their roots were wrapped compactly in wet newspaper and plastic. The notice inside read:

Your Plants are Speaking to You!
We are currently dormant, having been properly harvested and stored throughout the winter.
So please, as soon as possible, plant us in some good soil and water us liberally immediately after planting.
We are ready to wake up and grow for you for many years to come.


Well, little hemlocks, one look at White Wazoo Farm and I'm afraid you know the answer. Yes, dormant for a while longer. Sleep happy in your cardboard coffin.

Spring really is coming.

Open my box, and my label might read: Please, as soon as possible, plant me in some good soil and water me immediately after planting. I am ready to wake up!

As SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Yes, yes, spring really IS coming. You promise?

1 comment:

kjr said...

aargh kim, an icky day here too - everything is icy again.

"you catch your breath and winter starts again and everyone else is spring bound" (dar williams again).

thinking of you - hope you're feeling better & elspeth as well & that you all have a better weekend - i hope you get a hold of some coffee!!